Published by Les éditions Esse, Esse arts + opinions is a bilingual magazine focused mainly on contemporary art and multidisciplinary practices. Specializing in essays on issues in art today, the magazine publishes critical analyses that address art in relation to its context. Each issue contains a thematic section, portfolios of artworks, articles critiquing the international culture scene, and reviews of exhibitions, events, and publications. The esse.ca platform also offers articles on art in the news and an archive of previous issues of Esse.
1. Except with the express consent of Les éditions Esse, the author agrees to submit a previously unpublished, original text.
2. All articles are reviewed by the editorial board, which reserves the right to accept or reject submissions. Selection criteria are based on the quality of the analysis and the writing, the relevance of the text to the issue (with regard to the theme), and the relevance of the chosen artworks and artists. Selection of articles may take up to 6 weeks after submission. The editorial board’s decision is final.
3. Unless there is an agreement to the contrary, the editorial board does not consider articles that may represent a potential conflict of interest between the author and the subject of the article (e.g., a text written by an artist on his or her own practice, or written by the curator of an exhibition or an event or by an artist’s gallery).
4. The authors whose pieces are selected agree to format their text according to the typographic standards of Esse, following the guidelines sent to them with the publishing contract.
5. With respect to the author’s vision and style, the editorial board reserves the right to ask for semantic or other corrections and modifications to be made: quality of language, general structure of the text, clarity, flaws, accuracy of titles and subtitles, composition standards.
6. Conditionally accepted articles will be discussed between the writer and the editorial board. If changes are requested, the author will have 15 (fifteen) days to carry these out.
7. All costs of typographical correction of the author’s text shall be borne by Les éditions Esse except the author’s corrections, if applicable, which shall be borne by the author.